Do you feel stiff as a board some days? I hear this all the time in the media –“Stay limber!” “Stretch every day!” “Increase your flexibility!” But what does that actually mean? Do you really need to spend time stretching and doing flexibility exercises?
As women, we know that our bodies change with age, and it can be hard to keep up with those workouts. But don’t worry – there is one thing we can do to make sure we stay at the top of our game: flexibility exercises!
There are tons of benefits to doing flexibility exercises, especially for women over 40. Let’s explore how increasing your range of motion can help you achieve better health and well-being.
In this blog post, I’ll share why flexibility exercises are important for us ladies and the surprising benefits that come from doing them.
5 Benefits of Flexibility Exercises
- Improved Posture And Balance. As we age, our posture suffers. Things like sitting in front of a computer all day or slouching while watching TV can cause us to hunch our shoulders and collapse our spine. Over time, this creates tension in the neck, back, and hips that has noticeable effects on posture. Stretching helps to counter these effects by loosening tight muscles and improving the range of motion in your joints. This allows for a more natural standing position that encourages good posture throughout the day. It also helps improve balance which decreases your risk of falling or injuring yourself during physical activities.
- Reduce Stress And Anxiety. Stress can wreak all kinds of havoc on our bodies, from headaches to muscle tension to digestive issues. Thankfully, stretching can help reduce stress levels by releasing pent-up energy that has accumulated throughout the day. By taking 10-15 minutes each day to focus on your breathing while stretching out your body, you can bring down stress levels significantly so that they’re more manageable going forward. Movement helps release endorphins that are natural mood lifters so you will feel better physically and mentally too! Plus, just the act of taking some time out of your day to stretch or do a few yoga poses can help clear your mind after a long day at work or running errands all day.
- Better Circulation. Poor circulation leads to aches and pains as well as cold hands and feet due to a lack of oxygenation in those areas. Stretching increases blood flow throughout the body which helps move oxygen into areas where it’s needed most—in particular, joints and muscles that are prone to stiffness or soreness related to activity or daily living tasks like carrying groceries. Improved circulation also helps flush out toxins from organs so they can function optimally for years to come!
- Pain Relief. Stretching regularly can also relieve back pain, headaches, and neck pain, and help lower blood pressure levels. All-in-all it’s a great way to keep your body healthy and feeling good!
- Reduce Injuries. A flexible body also reduces the strain put on muscle groups during daily activities, reducing the risk of injury over time.
5 Easy And Effective Flexibility Exercises
Ok, so let’s get flexible! Doing flexibility exercises is a great way to increase your strength and flexibility, as well as reduce muscle tension. Plus, you don’t need to be a fitness guru to do them: just 5 simple stretches can give you some significant benefits.
- Wall Angles. Start by doing wall angels – stand facing a wall with your feet shoulder-width apart and lift one arm up the wall while keeping the other on the hip. Lean into the wall until both arms touch it behind your head. This loosens your shoulder muscles.
- Mid Back Stretch. A second exercise is a mid-back stretch, where you stand with your feet hip-distance apart, then clasp both hands together in front of you and bend forward slightly until you feel a gentle pull in your back muscles.
- Calf Raises. Finally, try out calf raises by lifting each heel off the floor gently while standing so that you balance on your tippy toes.
- Spinal Twists. Spinal twists can help loosen up your hips and relieve tightness in your lower back; a bit of counteraction to sitting hunched over at your desk all day! Start by lying on your back with bent knees and arms outstretched to either side. Slowly twist through one direction at first, then hold for several breaths before twisting through the other side.
- Shoulder Stretches. Finally, incorporate shoulder stretches into daily life to stand straighter and reduce tension headache woes. Reach both arms behind you as far as possible while keeping them pressed together; clasp opposite elbows if you’re able.
Flexibility exercises may help improve your mobility, along with providing instant hip-opening relief any day of the week. Doing flexibility exercises helps reset your back muscles, prevent joint stiffness, and increases overall well-being.
From toe raises to shoulder stretches, flexibility exercises are an easy and effective way to improve your health.
Not only do they help with posture and balance, but they can also help reduce stress, improve circulation, reduce pain, and lower the risk of future injuries. Moreover, these exercises can be done anywhere and at any time, so no excuses!
All you need is a few minutes each day to start seeing results. So why wait? Start adding flexibility workouts into your fitness routine today! With just a few easy steps, you can soon enjoy optimal health without ever having to step foot inside a gym.
And don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more tips and hacks to better health. Do you have any favorite flexibility exercises in your arsenal? Leave a comment and let me know!
***Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice***