One of my favorite things about fall is apples — they just seem to taste so much better this time of year. This is a great muffin recipe to have with breakfast, warm up with a cup of tea, or anytime you want a healthy little snack. Give it a try and let me know if you like it!
Apple Spice Nut Muffins
Recipe Type: Dessert
Author: Susan Taylor
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 22 mins
Total time: 37 mins
Serves: 12 muffins
Great fall muffin recipe especially for those who are egg – free and gluten-free.
- 1 C fresh organic apples, cored and unseeded, small dice. I like honey crisp or granny smith but use whatever you prefer
- Coconut oil
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt, finely ground
- 3 C almond flour
- 1 tsp ground organic cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground organic ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground organic nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground organic cloves
- 1 T ground flax seeds
- 1/3 C water
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 C honey
- 1/4 C chopped organic nuts (I like walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly oil muffin pan with coconut oil.
- Combine in a medium bowl, almond flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and apples, mixing well.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flax seed, water, vanilla extract, and honey whisking together until well combined. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes. (This step is very important as this is the binder since there are no eggs in this recipe and needs to form a gel to hold the muffins together)
- Slowly transfer the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Distribute the muffin mixture evenly in the muffin cups
- Sprinkle the nuts evenly over muffin tops.
- Place the pan on the middle oven rack and bake for 22 minutes, rotating the pan about halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before removing from muffin pan.
Serving size: 1